Read-a-thon: Spring 2014

Read-a-thon

It’s time for another read-a-thon! I will be reading casually throughout the day, taking breaks as needed. I am also cheering this year, captain for #TeamWordsworth!

Below are the books I will be concentrating on today. I will change the list as needed.

Stats

Pages Finished: 59
Kindle % Done: 29%
Books Finished: 0
Time Spent Reading: 140 minutes
Time Spent Cheering (#TeamWordsworth): 130 minutes

Updates

06:00 I am up early, so I’m doing the opening meme. Will update this again once I’ve started reading!
07:33 Alright, I am up and about to start reading. I am thinking I will start with Cinder, seeing as how I keep hearing how quick/addicting it is to read!
11:17 Hah. I read for about 30 minutes and fell asleep. I’ve showered and now I’m going to read while we grab some lunch and run some errands.
15:15 SO. I am back and probably for good. I had a ton of errands to do today (haircuts, some random groceries, etc) and it’s been a long day away from home.
15:35 I am currently spending some time cheering and then I think I might switch to Panic. Will update when I start reading again. :)
15:49 Back to reading! I am going to try Panic for a while.
16:54 I am on page 39 of Panic. Taking a quick break.
17:30 Back to reading!
18:04 I took a break to eat dinner.
19:04 I’ve been reading Cinder. Taking another break.
19:21 I did some more cheering, so now I think it’s time to take a real break.
20:07 I got hooked on Cinder. :)
20:42 I finished cheering my team. I may cheer randomly later on, but I’m getting tired, so I’m betting my read-a-thon is almost over. Going to reply to comments here and then read some more. :)
21:25 Alright, I’m going to read more of Cinder. I’m hoping to hit the halfway point before bed. This pregnant lady will not be able to stay up all night.
21:46 I am going to read Cinder in bed. Good night everyone! I will update tomorrow when I wake up.
13:04 (Sunday) I didn’t read anymore… I was too tired!

Introductory Meme

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Nashville, Tennessee! Where everyone else is doing the Country Music Marathon. ;)
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Hmm I think perhaps the Patrick Ness Chaos Walking Trilogy. I sort of abandoned it.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I have chips and dip and cheesecake, yum!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I’m in my late 20s, currently a SAHW as I study for my nursing boards, and I’m pregnant with our first child. Quite a difference from previous years!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? Hmm I guess stop reading if I get bored? I’ve got some shorter novels (Ozian) I can read if I need to. The longer books never do much for me.

Mid-Event Survey

1. What are you reading right now? Panic
2. How many books have you read so far? ha none
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Panic and Cinder
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? I ended up being busier than I had planned.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Yes. I am picking back up and moving on now. :)
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How little reading I’m doing this time and more cheering!
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Not sure yet!
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? If I’m going to cheerlead again, I’d definitely plan better to be around more.
9. Are you getting tired yet? Yes, but that’s par for the course these days.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered? I am alternating. It’s working fine for me. I’m also not checking in every hour… check in when you can!

End of Event Meme

Which hour was most daunting for you? Well I went to bed by hour 15.
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Short, like graphic novels are awesome.
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Not at the moment.
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? The new cheerleading methods were a lot better.
How many books did you read? I read 2, but didn’t finish any.
What were the names of the books you read? Cinder and Panic
Which book did you enjoy most? Cinder
Which did you enjoy least? Panic
If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Spread cheering throughout the day.
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I hope to participate next time, depends on if I have a newborn or not!

40 Comments

1. Samantha

April 26, 2014 5:31 am

I love Nashville – I’m actually head down there next weekend! I’m here to rave about Cinder; it’s a relatively quick read (it was for me) and it’s AWESOME. Keep in mind you might have the urge to buy the next two books immediately and then be so so sad because the 4th book doesn’t come out until 2015.

Looks like you’ve got a good stack to work on! Happy Reading!
    Samantha recently posted…Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon | Kick-Off PostMy Profile

2. Kimberly @ On the Wings of Books

April 26, 2014 5:34 am

Mmmmmm Cheesecake! I hope you enjoy Champion! I thought it was a great ending to the trilogy!
    Kimberly @ On the Wings of Books recently posted…Let the Readathon Begin!My Profile

• Becca Sanborn

April 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Kimberly @ On the Wings of Books » The cheesecake was delicious! I’m not sure I’ll make it to Champion today, but I look forward to finishing that series.

3. Karsyn

April 26, 2014 5:36 am

I LOVED Cress, I hope that you enjoy it too. Panic wasn’t too bad, in my opinion, but not one of my favorites. Good luck with your reading, and have fun!!
    Karsyn recently posted…Hour 0 ~ Kick OffMy Profile

4. Istiningdyah Saptarini

April 26, 2014 6:01 am

oh my cheesecake! I love cheesecake. You have nice book list for the read-a-thon. Most of them are on my wishlis. Good luck :)
    Istiningdyah Saptarini recently posted…Read-A-Thon Hour #0 Kick Off MemeMy Profile

5. tanya (52 books or bust)

April 26, 2014 7:50 am

Cheesecake! Man, you sound prepared. I love that you’re keeping track of your cheering minutes as well. Keep at it. Love, Team Bulter!
    tanya (52 books or bust) recently posted…Reading Diversely – A Top Ten ListMy Profile

6. Katie @ Words for Worms

April 26, 2014 11:33 am

Oooooh you’re reading Cinder! I have loved the Lunar Chronicles, I just finished Cress last week. Hope your Readathon is fantastic! XOXO, your friendly neighborhood cheerleader
    Katie @ Words for Worms recently posted…Fellowship of the Worms Announcement: Northanger AbbeyMy Profile

7. Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll)

April 26, 2014 1:58 pm

I’m here to cheer! Great list. Like Katie, above, I adored Cinder and the whole Lunar Chronicles so far. Have a great day. Yay for READing!
    Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) recently posted…Best of My Reading Year — some selections for #ReadathonMy Profile

8. Debbie @ CK2S Kwips and Kritiques

April 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Love your book choices! You’re doing great!

9. Teresa

April 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Funny you mention the Country Music Marathon – that one is on my running bucket list some year. I hope you’re enjoying your day of reading!

10. Wall-to-wall books

April 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Hey Becca, thanks for stopping by my blog!
    And thanks for being a sushi supporter!!!
    Wall-to-wall books recently posted…RAT hr. #9 updateMy Profile

11. Rachel Noel

April 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I have to remember the format your using. This is my first year and I’m glad reading other blogs is encouraged because I’m getting so many good ideas for next year!
    Rachel Noel recently posted…Dinner Time Update – A Christmas Carol AudiobookMy Profile

• Becca Sanborn

April 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Rachel Noel » I hope you are enjoying your first year! I change my format every year, you’ll figure out over time what works best for you. :)

12. Vasilly

April 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Your stack is awesome! Cinder is a fantastic read. Keep it up!
    Vasilly recently posted…Dewey’s 24 Hour ReadathonMy Profile

13. Charlie

April 26, 2014 4:52 pm

I’ve just read about Meyer’s promise, it’s great. Good book to choose :) Hope you’ve time to take another nap if needs be, it seems you’ve had/are having a busy day. Thanks for cheering and best of luck with the reading.

14. Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)

April 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Thank you for stopping over to cheer! I have Cinder on my pile too, although I’m saving it for later tonight when I get tired. I love how fast YA books go by when your eyes are getting sleepy. Happy Readathon!
    Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) recently posted…The Readathon is Here!My Profile

• Becca Sanborn

April 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) » Cinder quickly hooked me, so I’d say it’s a great way to end the read-a-thon, especially if you are tired. Thanks for stopping by!

15. Masanobu

April 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Hello there captain! I hope you are finding time to read and relax in spite of your cheering duties! Seriously, though, thanks for all the effort.

Go Team Wordsworth!
    Masanobu recently posted…Dewey’s Readathon: Mid-Event SurveyMy Profile

16. Kelley @ CK2S Kwips and Kritiques

April 26, 2014 7:14 pm

you’re doing great! thanks for being a cheerleader for the rest of us!

17. stacey

April 26, 2014 7:45 pm

I’m pretty sure any interruptions -more than getting a beverage or snack- would drain away my momentum … I think it’s great that you’re still chugging forward!!

18. Chris Wolak

April 27, 2014 1:32 am

Sounds like you had a busy day! Glad to hear you got hooked on Cinder–I’m curious about that one.
    Chris Wolak recently posted…Readathon Check-In #2My Profile

19. Jill

April 27, 2014 4:54 am

Really well done!

Happy Reading!

Jill from Team Butler

20. Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll)

April 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Back again to read your end-of-event meme. I’m glad the read-a-thon went well for you! And I hope you’re having a good day of recovery today.
    Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) recently posted…Wrap-up of Dewey’s #Readathon + #SundaySalonMy Profile

%d bloggers like this: